Author Topic: credit card  (Read 6345 times)

sonia c

credit card
« on: January 07, 2010, 02:31:57 PM »
Hi,
ITS URGENT PLZ Advise

I have question as my wallet is been stolen and my credit card is used. is there any strict rules of RBI that merchant has to see the identity of the person carrying credit card before swiping it? some merchant has swiped it before checking the identity. my credit card is got swiped. Now I have lodged an FIR against the unknown person can I take action against the merchant who swiped the card before checking the identity of the person who wants to swipe the card. plz advice me

chetan

• Administrator
Re: credit card
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 07:24:19 PM »
First Block the Card ASAP, hope you have done it by now.

Yes merchants are supposed to look at the signature at the back of the card and compare it with what the Thief has signed on the Transaction receipt. You have the right to dispute the transaction that is when the signature part will come into picture and if they don't match, Merchant should be black listed and you should be given the refund. Then it is the headache between the bank and the merchant.

During this exercise, bank will try to put pressure on you, so don't yield to them and fight it. Correspond in writing and always take bank seal and signature on the copy of the letter you submit or use Registered AD post only.