Author Topic: Payment of Credit Card stolen  (Read 4378 times)

Anand_kai

Payment of Credit Card stolen
« on: February 02, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »
Hi,

Its urgent please advise

I had Standard Chartered(SC) Credit card and in Feb 2007 my wallet was stolen in UK . I had cancelled all my cards including SC credit card within 24 hrs (when i was found my wallent missing). At that time, SC credit card was swapped in ATM (don't know how they got the PIN number) and took almost 30K (which was maximim limit) which is in £310.

I had raised the concern with bank and also filled Dispute Declaration form but bank forced me to pay all the outstanding money. I refused to pay any single money for which i didn't use it.

Now after 4 years, some recovery agent from mumbai sending a email to pay the money of around 1 Lakh and asking me to make full and final settlement and my name is already reported in CIBIL as defaulter.

I would like to clear my name in CIBIL (i mean status as blank) but also don't want pay much for settlement. What are my option here?

How long thus bank take to block the card as i can see the transaction happened after 2 days of missing card?

Why can't bank check the camera in ATM counter and confirm that its been used by theft?

Appreciate your thought on this. Thanks in advance. Keep up the good work.

cardbhai

Re: Payment of Credit Card stolen
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 02:43:05 PM »
1. You are not liable to pay since the transaction has happened 2 days after you have reported the card as stolen.

2. Write a letter to Bank's Ombudsman and give him exactly 21 days to resolve the issue

3. There is no question of settlement and tell them that your name should be cleared off the CIBIL list. If you settle, then you indirectly agree that you may have done that on purpose. [Some people do that and everybody is viewed suspiciously ]

4. If the bank's Ombudsman doesn't rule in your favor, Write a letter to RBI Ombudsman depending on where you are located in India [Read some previous posts, the list of Ombudsman is there]

Thanks.