Author Topic: Union Bank ATM Visa Debit Card Blocked Without Intimation  (Read 4470 times)

cardbhai

Union Bank ATM Visa Debit Card Blocked Without Intimation
« on: November 30, 2013, 01:18:46 PM »
A Reader of our Site has written to me on How his Union Bank of India ATM Visa Debit Card has been blocked without any intimation or his consent. [Ref - 66704]

My ATM Visa Debit Card was rejected and transaction declined at a Point of Sale purchase even thought my account had sufficient balance to go through with the transaction. The card was functioning at the ATM and cash withdrawal could still be carried out but POS transactions were declined. I registered a telephonic and email complaint with the bank of which I did not receive any reply for over 5 days. On registering a complain with the grievance officer after 2 more days I was informed that the card was not registered with VISA verification due to which it got declined at the POS, once I take the necessary steps the problem would be resolved automatically. The bank did not give any prior notice about these steps which could have spared me the humiliation and inconvenience when the card was declined at time of purchase. The card was declined again even after me following all the steps as told by the bank and registration at Visa Verification online was done. I have written numerous mails to the grievance cell of Union Bank of India and there had been no response at all even from the grievance officer and bank appellate authority.

Now, the bank branch tells me to block my debit card and apply for a fresh one which would be chargeable on me. I faced humiliation due to my card not being functional at POS twice as the bank gave me no prior notice about the Visa Verification registration process. Even after the registration the card is not functional and am unable to use my own money and on the contrary am being asked to pay for charges of new card issuance. The bank already deducts debit card charges for assuring smooth debit card services so if the card gets corrupt due to no fault of the user then the bank should be responsible for getting it resolved. The grievance cell and appellate authority do not reply to consumers complaints either which is a serious lack of service standards.

I want the POS transaction facility to be reactivated on my visa debit card. If it requires the replacement of the debit card then the same must be done without making me liable for relevant charges.

CardBhai Comments:
Is the bank right in doing so ? Well, if the Bank's Fraud Monitoring Team has flagged and the Card is Blocked, then it is for the consumers' own good. So just go to the Bank and get a new card which is better than fighting Debit / Credit Card Frauds.