We decided to find out the top 5 Asset management Companies – AMCs based on two factors – Total Assets Under Management and Equity Assets Under Management as on May-31st, 2008. The latter is of more importance to our theme of investing.
Top 5 AMCs based on Total Assets under management:
- Reliance Mutual Fund Rs 98,431 cr
- ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund Rs 59,094 cr
- HDFC Mutual Fund Rs 56,107 cr
- UTI Mutual Fund Rs 54,652 cr
- Birla Sun Life Mutual Fund Rs 41,442 cr
Top 5 AMCs based on Total Equity Assets under management:
- Reliance Mutual Fund Rs 24,478 cr
- UTI Mutual Fund Rs 19,188 cr
- HDFC Mutual Fund Rs 16,881 cr
- SBI Mutual Fund Rs 14,661 cr
- Franklin Templeton Mutual Fund Rs 13,727 cr
These figures does not mean that you should only invest in funds offered by these AMCs. Review of extended coverage of AMCs beyond HDFC will be posted here by the end of this month.